Rice water is a traditional remedy for hair growth that has been used by women in China and Japan for centuries. It contains amino acids, vitamins and minerals that may help strengthen and nourish your hair.
How to make rice water?
To make rice water, you need to rinse and strain one cup of rice, then mix it with one cup of water in a bowl. Let it sit for 12 to 24 hours, then strain the liquid and store it in a spray bottle. To use rice water for hair growth, you can spray it on your scalp and hair after shampooing, massage it gently, and leave it on for 10 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off. You can do this once or twice a week for best results.
Rice water benefits for Hair Growth and how to use
Benefits of rice water for hair growth
Some of the benefits of rice water for hair are:
- It strengthens damaged hair strands and prevents breakage.
- It revitalizes dull strands by removing buildup and increasing shine and softness.
- It promotes hair growth by providing vitamins and minerals to the hair follicles.
- It repairs cuticle damage and protects hair from future damage with inositol, an ingredient found in rice water.
- It prevents dandruff and inflammation on the scalp with its anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Store rice water to use for hair growth
The shelf life of rice water depends on how you store it and how you make it. If you make rice water by soaking or boiling rice, you can store it in the fridge for up to 3 days in a sealed container¹. If you make rice water by fermenting rice, you can store it in the fridge for up to 3 to 5 months in an airtight jar. However, you should always check the rice water before using it and discard it if it has any signs of spoilage, such as a foul smell, strange texture, or mold.
Use rice water with essential oils
There are many essential oils that you can add to rice water to enhance its benefits and smell. Some of the essential oils that you can add are:
- Vanilla essential oil: This oil can help mask the sour scent of fermented rice water and also has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and relaxant properties.
- Citrus essential oils: These oils can also help reduce the strong smell of fermented rice water and add a fresh and uplifting aroma. You can use lemon, orange, grapefruit, lime or bergamot essential oils.
- Lavender essential oil: This oil can help soothe your scalp, promote hair growth, and add a calming and floral scent to your rice water.
- Ylang ylang essential oil: This oil can help moisturize your hair, prevent split ends, and add a sweet and exotic fragrance to your rice water.
- Lemongrass essential oil: This oil can help cleanse your scalp, prevent dandruff, and add a refreshing and citrusy scent to your rice water.
Use rice water with other ingredients
you can mix rice water with other ingredients to make it more nutritious, flavorful, or beneficial for your hair and skin. Some of the ingredients that you can mix with rice water are:
- Cinnamon: You can add cinnamon sticks to your rice water when you soak or boil it to make a delicious and healthy beverage. Cinnamon can help lower blood sugar, cholesterol, and inflammation.
- Honey: You can add honey to your rice water when you use it as a hair or face mask. Honey can help moisturize, nourish, and brighten your hair and skin².
- Aloe vera: You can add aloe vera gel to your rice water when you use it as a hair or face mask. Aloe vera can help soothe, heal, and protect your hair and skin from damage.
- Green tea: You can add green tea bags to your rice water when you soak or boil it to make a refreshing and antioxidant-rich drink. Green tea can help boost your metabolism, immunity, and brain function.
Color hair can use rice water?
Yes, you can use rice water for color hair. Rice water is safe for all hair types, including color-treated hair. Rice water can help increase the shine, strength, and elasticity of your hair, as well as prevent it from turning gray. Rice water can also help protect your hair color from fading by sealing the cuticles and locking in the pigment. However, you should be careful not to use rice water too often or leave it on your hair for too long, as it can make your hair dry, brittle, or protein-overloaded⁴. You should also rinse your hair well after using rice water and follow up with a moisturizer or conditioner.